Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Killed By A Fly

The white fly killed this tree in three years.

The bark is falling off. One year ago the tree still looked good.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Monday, September 28, 2009

Two Front Dooors

The covered walk way to the left looks like a porch but there is no space for a chair.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Costus, Related To Ginger

This is Costus spicatus

Friday, September 25, 2009

B. David Sander

This orchid is a hybrid but it's a natural one from the jungle. In nature species seldom produce hybrids.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

It's Very Pink

I remember houses in the 40s with this shade of pink, so I guess it's a historic color. It's still not one of my favorites.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Monday, September 21, 2009

In The Zingiberaceae Family

The Curcuma is a relative of the gingers.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Now That's A Greenhouse

They don't need to paint there house every 10 years. But they need to trim the vines every month.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

For Sale

The building is not finished but it's already ready to be sold.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Thursday, September 17, 2009


The four coconut palms were planted at the same time and they seem to look formal.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

As Pretty As It Can Be

The new owner of this 80 year old house has landscaped, painted and put on a new roof. It never looked so good.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

White Sleeping Bauhinia

This orchid tree has large flowers but they never open any more then this.

Monday, September 14, 2009

The Near By Everglades

In our our house I paint the walls and my wife paints on canvas.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Bignay (Antidesma bunius)

Only 75% can enjoy this fruit. For these people the fruit is sweet. But for the other 25% the fruit is bitter and no amount of added sugar will it erase the bitter taste. My genes keep this fruit bitter.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Happy Sobralia

This orchid grows in the ground like any other shrub. The flower lasts for only one day. But new flowers open every few days during the fall.

Friday, September 11, 2009


The art of Roy Lichtenstein was at the towers on 911. After it was repaired it was displayed in Coral Gables 2 years ago. May we all have the serenity of this picture as we try to understand one another.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Seed Makes The Show

Clerodendrum minahasse - Fountain Clerodendrum has dainty white flowers that look very nice, but the seeds steal the show.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Croton To Catch Your Eye

Early this morning, with a few shafts of sunshine, the croton was stealing the show.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Palms Relate To The House

They relate now but in the future they will be too tall. Most palms just go up and trimming them will not stop the growth. We have a lot of old homes that have large tall palms that look out of place.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Epipremnum aureum, Also Known As Pothos

This is what we use instead of ivy. When it stays on the ground the leaves are small. When it grows up a tree the leaves get much bigger.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

One Tall Palm

Seventy years ago the palm was small and it fit nicely in front of the chimney. Now when you look at the house you see only a big pole. You have to look to the sky to see the green part of the palm.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

'Foxfire' The Waterlily

This waterlily can bloom all year around. But the best attribute is that the flower opens one or two hours earlier then any other day blooming waterlily.

Friday, September 4, 2009

Bottle Palm / Hyophorbe lagenicaulis (on the right)

The palm is from the Mascarene Islands, which are in the Indian Ocean just East of Madagascar. It's nearly extinct in its natural habitat but is now widely seen in Home Depot.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

It's Greek To Me

It's a Mediterranean style house, but this one is from Greece.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Pagoda Flower / Clerodendrum paniculatum

Commonly called couronne de mariƩe (Bride's Crown) in French Guiana and pagode (Pagoda) in the French Antilles.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Big Theme: Bigger Then It Needs To Be

A crew of city workers, and a very large piece of machinery, are clipping some oak branches that hang above the sidewalk. It also means a large bill. If it was done by the landowner near the tree it would be done with one ladder and a poll saw.

Click here to view thumbnails for all participants